• Called “Ensign” and Captain.
2477, p 11• William2 was variously referred to as Ensign and Captain, meaning he was a respected member of the militia. Around 1725, this William2 built the house still standing on Cider Hill, located on what is now Town Farm Road. He would have been fifty-seven at the time he built it and his seventeen year old son, William3, probably helped him in the construction. It is not known when the earlier cabin disappeared, but some beams in the present house suggest a usage possibly predating the given 1725 construction. The custom of using materials from earlier buildings in the construction of new was not uncommon.
This new dwelling of Williams·2 was one of the three designated houses holding Sabbath meetings in rotation prior to the building of the first Meeting House in the newly separated North or Second Ecclesiastical Society of Groton after 1725.
William2 died in 1741, about sixteen years after the new house was built. His wife, Mary, lived thirteen years longer. After son William3 married in 1736, it is presumed both generations shared the “new house." Both William2 and his wife Mary were buried with William1 and Arabella in the small family area close to the house.
2476, p 220